The beginning of January … the festive season has passed (for those who were able to take advantage of it…) and its procession of fatigue, emotions and often overeating…
At the beginning of the year, everyone talks about detox, but targeting the body, and the diets that go with it. At TiL, true to our holistic philosophy, we believe that everything is intimately linked and that we must ALSO detoxify the mind and the skin.
“Take care of your body so that your soul will want to stay in it” (Gandhi).
That’s all well and good, but in fact how does the body work and why detox? What are its benefits and what can be done to make it global, both body, skin and mind?
Cleansing the body
What we call today “detox” has in fact existed for centuries, present in the great religions under the name of fasting, to offer times of refocusing on the spiritual life and because the body needs a regular cleansing to keep a good energy.
The best times of the year to detox are autumn and spring, but also periods of overload such as the beginning of the year.
The natural evacuation process:
Did you know that the body has 5 “emunctories”: liver, intestines, kidneys (the 3 main ones), lungs and skin (secondary emunctories)? Their mission is essential: to eliminate toxins and all the waste contained in our body. They do this naturally …. unless they are overwhelmed! This is the case, for example, with an excessively fatty and sugary diet, or stress and fatigue, and then they are no longer able to evacuate everything.
The damage of an excess of toxins:
With our way of life, the body is regularly saturated by toxins, and this triggers a cascade of internal reactions. The result is a drop in energy, low morale, sleep problems, blurred and dull skin, and we’re not talking about the weight or the joint pain or the natural defences that are reduced, opening the door to viruses or allergies…
The benefits of a detox:
By relieving the emunctories and helping to evacuate stored toxins, detoxification “purifies” the body. Cellular renewal is stimulated, lost energy is regained, the intestines regain their balance, the body feels lighter because it is replenished, the skin regains its radiance.
How to detoxify ?
First of all, you need to clean up your diet: avoid alcohol, fats and sugars, especially industrial ones, red meat, milk, stimulants… And above all, drink water without moderation.
Yes, we know, it’s a bit restrictive, but your body will thank you and so will your skin!
Do some physical activity, it eliminates toxins. Yoga in particular, where several postures stimulate the digestive system.
- And then, give a boost with our Detox, Destress & Glow Food Supplement (La Poudre Zéro Souci), a winning combo: detox, relaxation and radiance. It is a concentrate of extracts of linden blossom and sapwood, burdock, lemon balm, vitamin B6 and minerals. It helps to eliminate toxins, purify the body, improve digestion, give the skin a glow, de-stress and improve sleep. Its detoxifying action is carried out by :
- -> The Sapwood of the Linden tree, this soft wood where the raw sap circulates, between the bark and the heart of the tree, is full of active principles. It has been known since the dawn of time to cleanse the body, as it drains and facilitates its functions of eliminating toxins, particularly the liver, kidneys and intestines. It stimulates the work of the liver by increasing its capacity to filter waste and toxins from the blood, regulates bile secretion, thus improving digestion, and improves the functioning of the kidneys.
- -> Burdock, a plant traditionally used throughout the world for its depurative functions: it promotes the well-being of the liver, digestive well-being, and the purification of the body.
This double detoxifying action has a notable influence on the radiance of the skin, because a cleansed body shows a more beautiful and radiant skin.
Purify the skin
The skin is the mirror of the body’s health.
When the liver is overloaded, it is the skin that takes over by assuming the role of a secondary emunctory… this is where acne appears, a sign that detoxification has begun.
Toxins in the body disrupt and unbalance the skin, making it dull and blotchy, as well as the hair, more oily.
Detoxifying stimulates the skin’s natural defences against all the aggressions it has suffered.
That’s easy to say, but how do you actually do it?
- What you ingest shows on your skin:
- This is the famous “In and Out”, dear to TiL. And there’s no point in applying sophisticated skincare if what you swallow is harmful to your health!
- Limit very white foods that are too refined, acidic foods, fast sugars because sugar stimulates the production of sebum, cold meats, dairy products and wine… Abuse fruits and vegetables that are full of vitamins and anti-oxidants.
Clean your skin thoroughly morning and evening, even if it seems tedious:
Here too, skin care products are applied in vain if it is not perfectly clean and pure beforehand.
Our Soothing Cleansing Gel (La Gelée à Fleur de Peau”) is an ultra-sensory gourmet gel that restores forgotten purity to the skin. Its exclusive active ingredient, Tiliactiv4®, the first concentrate of linden tree flowers, leaves, buds and twigs from the family estate in the Dordogne, is surrounded by natural glycerine and moisturising red algae, combined with Cocoglucoside, a natural sugar-based cleansing agent. This incredibly gentle and comfortable formula transforms with a little water into a soft, deliciously scented foam that removes all make-up, impurities and traces of pollution that suffocate the skin and make it dull. After rinsing with water, the skin is pure and soft, fresh and radiant.
The testimonials received of its amazing effectiveness speak for themselves, even teenagers with skin problems see a real change in 2 weeks.
- From time to time, steam your face before cleansing: This opens the pores and helps to unclog them of all the impurities that are more difficult to dislodge.
- Drain the face with self-massage movements to improve the circulation of lymph: Smoothing movements with the fingers, always from the bottom to the top, from the center to the sides, finishing along the neck on each side, from the ears to the collarbones, drain excess liquids and help purify the organs and eliminate toxins. The face deflates, the bags under the eyes also, and the complexion becomes more radiant.
Lightening the mind
At TiL, we try to follow a few principles to make life easier. Not always easy to put into practice in a systematic way, but the journey is what counts…
- Live at your own pace as much as you can, and try to clear your head of all the things you heard during the holidays (“so you’re still single? uhh 35 and no kids, you should think about it … ah, she’s 2 and still not saying a word, should you be worried? still no promotion in sight at the agency … beware, you won’t get it at 50 … “).
The injunctions, that’s it, in 2022 it’s over!
- Don’t feel guilty, because no, you’re not a 24-hour marketing director, a perfect mother, an exemplary wife, an outstanding cook, an angelic daughter. We just do the best we can and that’s a lot! Just being aware of it detoxifies the mind.
- Live in the present, because for the past it’s too late, it’s not regrets that make you live, and for the future we’ll go back to visibility, given the current context! So enjoy the good moments that life offers us, that also lightens the spirit.
- Take care of yourself by treating yourself to small daily pleasures. A spritz of our eau de toilette, L’Eau qui Enlace, for example, will take you for a walk under an avenue of linden trees in bloom and flood you with a feeling of comfort and calm.
- Practice emotional detox: the American bestseller The Clarity Cleanse (by Habib Sadeghi, an osteopathic physician) explains the need to cleanse the body and mind of negative emotions and bad energies, which are toxic by dint of accumulation, and which can even trigger illness. One of the methods proposed is to write down all our concerns on a piece of paper and then burn it. Frankly, we don’t know if it works, but it is worth a try, isn’t it?
- Clean up the area around you: let’s give preference in our space to people who and eliminate toxic personalities whenever possible…
At TiL, we believe that we are a whole and that detox is general, or not.
We don’t believe in miracles, but in small gestures and reflexes which, if repeated, can make life more beautiful. And we really need them, don’t we?
So here’s to your good resolutions for 2022!